15th February 2017
This silver and porcelain clock can be found within the Blue Boudoir at Warwick Castle. It has a dial decorated with porcelain plaques showing scenes from the life of Christ, and is thought to come from a telleruhr or plate-clock, possibly from 17th century Germany. It used to belong to Marie Antoinette, wife of King Louis XVI of France. Marie Antoinette’s possessions from the Palace of Versailles were sold after her execution during the French Revolution, and it is believed that the clock was purchased by George Greville, 4th Earl of Warwick, in Paris, due to records from Cook’s 1870 ‘Guide to Warwickshire’.
Marie Antoinette also played a further part in our castle’s history as our very own 5th Countess, Daisy Greville, liked to dress as her and attended several fancy dress balls in the 1890s dressed as her.