28th March 2017
This rather remarkable silver and bronze statuette of the famous Dun Cow was sculpted by Emile Jeannest, a Frenchman who worked in England in 1854. The trophy was never actually part of Warwick Castle’s collection; it was made instead as a trophy for the principal flat race at Warwick in 1854. In 1862, it was exhibited at the International Exhibition in London and then it vanished, and was later located in Johannesburg as part of a private collection. It was later purchased by a diamond merchant in Australia from whom it was purchased by Warwick Castle in 1983. Because of the character and the story it told, it made sense for its final resting place to be at Warwick Castle.